TERA (short for The Exiled Realm of Arborea ) is a massively multiplayer online role playing game (MMORPG) developed by Bluehole Studio. The game was released in South Korea on January 25, 2011, in North America on May 1, 2012, and in Europe on May 3, 2012, with closed and open beta tests taking place before the launch dates. NHN Corporation , NHN Japan Corporation, Mass Entertainment and Gameforge publishes the game in these regions, respectively. In February 2013 the game was renamed to TERA: Rising competitively with the game’s launch to the free-to-play model.
In September 2014, the game was renamed to TERA: Fate of Arun in the same patch as new and expanded horizons TERA’s horizons with the new continent in Northern Arun: Val Oriyn Northern Arun is a land of jungles savage, colossal ruins, and the undiscovered homeland of the Barakas. ” The patch became effective on December 2014 in America and Europe.
TERA has typical MMORPG features such as questing, crafting, and player vs. player action. The game’s fight uses a real-time battle system that incorporates third-person camera view. The player targets an enemy with a cross-hair cursor rather than clicking or tabbing an individual opponent (which is called the “Non-Target Battle System” by the developer). The Players need to actively dodge enemy attacks. A keyboard and mouse or a control pad can be used to control the character. 
Characters may be one of seven races  allied with the Valkyon Federation. Each race has a set of unique “racial skills” that gives them minor advantages. Breeds also have their own unique animations for many class-specific skills. TERA also has 13 classes (as of October 2017)  , each with their own unique abilities and attributes.
The developers collaborated with CCP Games and Their successful use of “PLEX” for Eve Online as a way of deterring gold farmers . As a result, TERA released a currency called “Chronoscrolls” that works similarly, as it can be played with real money. The use of Chronoscrolls is only available to users who have purchased the game either digitally or physically. Those with the “Discovery Edition” can not use Chronoscrolls.
The two beings, Arun and Shara, titans of unimaginable power, puts in a formless void. Somehow, Arun and Shara fell asleep and began to dream. As they slept, the Exiled Realm of Arborea began to manifest itself around them. Today, both Arun’s and Shara’s bodies form the two continents the Exiled Realm of Arborea is made of.
As both titans continued to sleep, their dreams came to life. Out of this dream, the first twelve god-like inhabitants of TERA
Yet, Arun and Shara remained in their dream-like state and simply out of their imagination, the first mortals came to life. The deathals and gods fought each other in great divine wars, leaving most of the dead gods, imprisoned, or otherwise diminished. Even some of the mortal species got wiped out; However, others are more likely to survive in the future. 
This section needs expansion . You can help by adding to it . (July 2014)
In February 2013, TERA in North America and Europe transitioned to TERA: Rising , which changed the subscription model to a ” freemium ” design (free play plus purchasable premium status and customization options). The developer has promised no time, level, or content. Players who purchase a 30-day “elite” status will receive increased dungeon rewards, in-game discounts and other metagame advantages Due to the new model, the “Chronoscrolls” mentioned above are being phased out, and are not longer , usable to extend game time. Existing chronoscrolls can be sold for merchants for 2,000 gold.
The Japanese and Korean versions of TER also became free to play in December 2012 and January 2013, respectively. 
This article needs to be updated . Please update this article to reflect recent events or new information. (June 2014)
TERA has-been met with Generally favorable reviews,  Citing the share-based gameplay, huge and Widely varied seamless world, the exciting and recurring Big Ass Monster (BAM)  fights, the ease of using the game’s auction house ( called the Trade Broker) and lush, detailed graphics as the game’s high points.  The option of using a console controller is also important for players who want to play an MMORPG without relying on a keyboard and mouse.  The game’s musical score is praised for its varied and emotional performance by orchestral pieces to more mellow tunes. Criticism is directed to the game’s generic collect / kill / rendezvous quest grind to level up, with some quests backtracking simply to talk to the same NPC.  Player killing is commonly done in the Open World and has a lot of things to do with it.  Critics have targeted the Nexus Wars feature as a blatant rip-off of Rift’s system. 
In March 2013, after switching to a free-to-play business model, the game passed 1.4 million registered accounts. 
On 5 May 2015 TERA ‘ s new patch 31.04 Was released in qui est devenu the game available on Steam. Along with being available on Steam, the gunner has been released and new dungeons have been added. Bluehole Studio also released inactive character names, making them available to new characters.
By March 2017, TERA had over 25 million users worldwide.  As of May 5, 2017, TERA has over 26 million registered players worldwide, including over 6.6 million in North America. 
On October 9, 2017 Gameforge announced the openings of three additional, new servers for English, French and German players to the already existing four servers. 
Trade secret civil actions
In 2007, NCSoft filed a complaint to South Korean authorities and brought a civil action for damages and injunction to Bluehole Studio. The Bluehole Studio Founders and Employees, NCsoft and working on the Lineage IIIdevelopment team, were convicted by a Korean criminal court for theft of valuable trade secrets from NCsoft in 2009. In 2010, a Korean civil court held these individuals, along with Bluehole Studio, link for misappropriation of trade secrets, awarding NCsoft about $ 2 million in damages and issuing an injunction against utilizing secrets for monetary gain. The damages were later reversed by a short name, but the injunction remained in place. Despite the injunction, Bluehole Studio developed and releasedTERA in South Korea.
On January 9, 2012, NCsoft filed a civil action in the United States against Bluehole Studio and its US subsidiary En Masse. NCsoft was seeking a permanent injunction prohibiting the launch of TERA in the United States, or damages for the substantial harm that the launch would cause NCsoft. They asserted claims for copyright infringement, trade secret misappropriation, breach of confidence, unfair competition, and unjust enrichment under the laws of the state of New York.
On April 18, 2012, En Masse Entertainment announced they were found guilty in the Korean civil actions.  However, three employees were found guilty. [ quote needed ]
- Jump up^ Makuch, Eddie (10 March 2017). “PS4, Xbox One Getting Action MMO Tera This Year” . GameSpot . CBS Interactive . Retrieved 19 May 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a Park b , Andrew (13 March 2010). “Spotlight On – TERA: The Exiled Realm of Arborea” . GameSpot .
- Jump up^ https://en.tera.gameforge.com/main/world
- Jump up^ http://tera.enmasse.com/game-guide/lore
- Jump up^ Williams, Mike (27 December 2012). “TERA goes free-to-play in Japan and Korea” . international gamesindustry . Eurogamer Network Ltd . Retrieved 8 February 2013 .
- Jump up^ “TERA” . Retrieved 28 June 2012 .
- Jump up^ Lindberg, Mikael (4 June 2012). “Review: TERA” . Retrieved 14 June2012 .
- Jump up^ Deesing, Jonathan (8 May 2012). “TERA Review for PC” . G4 . Retrieved 8 May 2012 .
- Jump up^ VanOrd, Kevin (May 16, 2012). “TERA Review” . Retrieved 14 June2012 .
- Jump up^ Grayson, Nathan (25 May 2012). “TERA Review” . Retrieved 14 June2012 .
- Jump up^ Savage, Phil (6 June 2012). “TERA review” . Retrieved 14 June 2012 .
- Jump up^ Funk, John (17 May 2012). “TERA Review” . Retrieved 14 June 2012 .
- Jump up^ “TERA for PC Reviews, Ratings, Credits, and More” . Metacritic . Retrieved 14 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Online TERA: What Are BAMs?” . gamingduty.com. 2017 . Retrieved 19 January 2017 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “TERA review” . PC Gamer . Retrieved 14 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ “TERA Game Review” . MMOs . Retrieved 7 February 2015 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “TERA Review” . IGN . Retrieved 14 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ “TERA To Feature” RIFT “Like Invasions” . Lorehound.com. 9 March 2012 . Retrieved 14 November 2012 .
- Jump up^ Williams, Mike (20 March 2013). “TERA crosses 1.4 million after F2P switch” . GamesIndustry.biz . Retrieved 28 March 2013 .
- Jump up^ http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/03/10/free-to-play-mmorpg-tera-ps4-xbox-one-in-2017/
- Jump up^ “TERA CELEBRATES FIVE YEARS OF TRUE COMBAT ACTION WITH NEWCONTENT AND MORE” . Develop . Games Press. May 5, 2017.
- Jump up^ https://en.tera.gameforge.com/news/detail/maintenance-patch-61-new-servers-10-10-2017
- Jump up^ “Short papers from the lawsuit” (PDF) .