The Lord of the Rings Online is a massive multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) for Microsoft Windows and OS X set in a fantasy universe based upon JRR Tolkien ‘sMiddle-earth writings . It takes place during the time period of The Lord of the Rings . It was developed and maintained by Turbine after Jeffrey Anderson and secured by Vivendi . 
It was launched in North America, Australia, Japan, and Europe on April 24, 2007. Originally subscription-based, it is free-to-play , with a paid subscription. The development of the economy, the ability to move between major cities, the removal of the currency, and the ability to move the economy send currency through the mail system, and make cash-on-delivery payments.
In 2010, the NPD Group reported that the game was “the third most played massively multiplayer role-playing game” with Turbine citing their free-to-play model as the reason for growing subscriber base. 
On December 19, 2016, it was announced that with immediate effect Lord of the Rings would be developed and maintained by Standing Stone Games, a newly formed independent game studio made of the groups that have been working on Lord of the Rings Online Dungeons & Dragons Online under Turbine Inc. before. 
The game’s middle is based on the Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit . However, Turbine does not have any rights in Tolkien’s legendarium , such as The Silmarillion .  Much of the gameplay is typical of the MMO size: The player controls a character avatar qui peut être Moved around the game world and Interacts with other players, non-player (computer-controlled) characters (or “NPCs”) and other entities in the virtual world . Camera angles can be switched between first-person and third-person options. Characters are improved by gaining levels. A character’s level increases after it earns a set amount of experience points through the player versus environment (or “PvE”) combat and storyline adventures. Characters’ abilities and skills are improved.
The main storyline (also known as “Epic Quest Line”) is presented as a series of “Books”, which consist of series of quests called “Chapters”. There were eight books when the game was released, with new books updated.
Tolkien’s Middle-earth as represented in the Lord of the Rings Online implements magic MMORPGs such as World of Warcraft . There are only five “wizards” in the fictional world, none of which are player-controlled. Instead, there are active skills that require “power” (the equivalent of magic points ). Some skills behave like magic, but are based on “lore”.  In addition, objects and artifacts are used to create similar effects to magic.
As opposed to other role-playing video games , the equivalent of health or hit points in LOTRO is moral and can be raised via food, rest, music, and battle cries . The game also focuses on cooking and farming in its crafting system, in consistency with the characterization of Hobbits in Tolkien’s writings.
Other gameplay features included in the game, and a detailed quest log with tracker and history of quests completed.
PvP vs PvMP
Classic Player versus player (PvP) fight, such as found in WoW and many other MMOs, does not exist in LOTRO. LOTRO does have “Sparring” where player versus player (PvP) like to fight results by inviting other players to spar one-on-one. This can take place anywhere in Middle Earth. However, there is no in-game benefit to the victor in a sparring match. 
In LOTRO, Player vs. Monster Player – PvMP (or alternately Monster Play )  is more similar to what players expect PvP. However, it is still not possible to loot defeated player characters. Creeps (Monsters) have quests, titles, and deeds similar to regular characters. Creeps fight against Free in the Ettenmoors for control of five keeps in the Ettenmoors. On July 20, 2015, Update 16.2 added the new PvMP area: The Sundering of Osgiliath . 
To engage in Monster Play any player must first create a normal Player Character and reach level 10.
- “Free to Play” players may then play an Orc Reaver class for free. They can also purchase individual classes in the game – Orc Reaver, Orc Defiler, Weaver Spider, Uruk Blackarrow, Uruk Warleader, Gold Warg Stalker. These characters begin at maximum level. Once created, each monster character will persist and be available for further play, unless you choose to reset it.
- Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors, Ettenmoors VIP players (subscribers) have unlimited access while their subscriptions are current.
- (Note, access to the Sundering of Osgillians is through the United States and does not require separate access.)
- Only VIP players (subscribers) can play a “Freep” (a portmanteau of the words “Free Peoples”), a Fighter for the Free Peoples in PvMP. Similarly, a VIP player has access to all types of classes, as well as unlimited access to “the Moors.”
- A VIP player has access to PvMP at level 20, and low-level characters are automatically “scalled” to the current level cap. Note however, that this refers to the character’s basic stats.
When one side holds two outposts they are able to go to the Delving of Fror, a dungeon area beneath the Ettenmoors. Outposts (smaller keeps) are also objects of combat. Two outposts must be taken to the Delving of Frór. Monsters and Heroes progress through 15 ranks in the Ettenmoors by defeating opponents. Higher ranks give you access to better equipment, health, and power ratings. Commissions are given for the purpose of completing or making improvements in the areas of statistics, skills, equipment and appearance. Raids and groups permit faster advancement. 
- The concept of rank farming is an alternative route to players in the marketplace. game mechanics.  This concept is not unique to LOTRO and is seen in other games of the same kind. Most of this activity in LOTRO is achieved through the use of multiple games of the game client to use a multitude of reaver monster play characters. The reaver class went free-to-playearly 2012 and has since been used in this type of play. Rank farming has had notable impact on the PvP gaming community. An official statement released on August 28, 2013 by Turbine customer service has made rank farming a banable offense.  Turbine has officially been approved for multi-stakeholder support in the United States. 
Deeds are a means of tracking accomplishments for each character that are not part of a quest. Most common are regional, found in all the game’s landscape regions, including Explorer, Slayer, Lore and Reputation deeds. Deeds are awarded on the completion of one of the goals of the deed (eg, finding the first area of an Explorer deed or killing the first enemy of a Slayer deed). Additional deeds include those linked to individual character’s class or race. Epic story deeds are advanced by completing the questions in the Epic Quest line. Additional deeds are also granted in conjunction with the Skirmish and Instance features. A final category is the Hobby Deed, related to in-game hobbies (currently only fishing). In addition, there are deeds that can be hidden, and there are ‘meta’ deeds. Hidden deeds aren ‘ t displayed in the deed tracker until the deed is complete. Meta Deeds require completion of several other deeds. In all cases, Turbine Points (TP), and sometimes cosmetic / non-combat awards, such as titles or emotes.
Characters are identified in-game by the names chosen by players. First names are selected and can be added later in the game (XP). In addition, titles are granted for completion of deeds or acquisition of player characteristics (for example advancing in a profession). Membership in a kinship also grants an additional title.
Each character has the ability to equip traits earned during the game. Features give myriad of different bonuses and abilities. Any trait can be equipped as long as they have enough feature slots. The number of free line slots depends on their level. The first line is available at level 7, for example. Virtue, class and racial traits offers a maximum of five slots, and legendary features offer three slots. Features may be changed by visiting most towns, and costing certain amounts of money.
Types of traits include:
- Virtue : Virtue is usually among all races and classes, and can be obtained by completing general goals, such as killing a set of monsters, or completing enough quests in an area. These traits improve stats, resistances and total moral and power, including regeneration. There are a wide variety of goals, and each one has multiple levels that can be earned during the course of the game.
- Class : Class features are specific to a certain class. These are the criteria for achieving a certain level of success, or meeting certain conditions with these skills often enough. These skills improve the power of certain abilities and even give an additional passive bonus to character statistics.
- Racial : Racial traits are specific to each of the races. These traits confer special abilities or improvements, and can be used at one time.
- Legendary : Legendary traits confer rare bonuses. They are obtained by collecting class-specific books, and from their class-specific questions, or by combining five class traits of a single type.
A fellowship is a band of up to six characters, created to complete quests and to pursue group hunts. The fellowship is what fulfills the role of ‘parties’ in other MMORPGgames, as it can be formed and disbanded by the leader at any time. Fellowships are an integral part of the game, they are necessary to engage in difficult groups that players will encounter. All players in a fellowship can chat with each other in the fellowship chat panel, where a conversation is seen by all fellowship members. All members of the fellowship will be in the position of the player (unless it has been modified otherwise), so that the status of every member can be monitored. Members in a fellowship will also be able to find a place where they can not find a place to stay. When in a fellowship, members can enter into the same instance of the join panel, or they can be summoned by special abilities. There are several easily identifiable icons that can be placed on each other’s headings by the fellowship leader so that members who are strategic in an instance or other mission can be easily located. The fellowship leader also has the ability to invite or dismiss a member at any time. A fellowship can also be transformed into a ‘raid’, which can be composed of up to four separate fellowships and can contain anywhere from 6 to 24 players.
Fellowships The Fellowships Maneuver system to perform special group moves. Fellowship Maneuvers occur randomly and require that the target be knocked down, in any group encounter with a ‘signature’ or higher enemy. Burglars and Guardians also have special skills that can initiate FMs when triggered. When the FM is initiated, every player within the area will get a color wheel on their screen. These skills contributions are those of which, which deals with direct damage, Stallions Spirit, which restores power, Spider’s Guile, which deals direct and periodic damage, and Eagle’s Cry, which restores lost moral. Every player can select one of these four contributions when a Fellowship Maneuver has been engaged, and the effect on the target (s) intensifies the more that it has been selected. There are also Fellowship Maneuvers which can be selected by a fellowship leader or assistant who confer unique bonuses. There are dozens of these unique FM combinations, which are designed for different situations and fellowship sizes. These maneuvers must be followed by others.
Monster Players in the game can also join Fellowships, though they are named Warbands instead. Players who are playing as Monster Characters in a PvP area also gain access to the Fellowship Maneuvers panel. Although they apply instead, they are instead renamed Warband Maneuvers. Troll’s Brutality, which deals directly with a target, Venom Spiders, which deals direct and periodic damage, Wight’s Rot, which deals directly with the target audience, and Fell-Spirit’s Terror which deals direct damage and moral saps.
In keeping with Tolkien’s heavy use of song and music in His books,  LotRO: has a music player sub-system akin to MIDI That has-been the subject of a Harvard anthropological study.  Reaching the level of musical instruments, including Bagpipes , Clarinet , Cowbell , Drum , Harp , Horn , Lute , Pibgorn , and Theorbo . Using keyboard macros , instruments can be played in real time on three octaves and abc notation, with the music being broadcast to nearby player characters. Players can also play pre-program pieces from user-created .ABC script files using the game’s music notation, similar to MIDI files. Players often hold impromptu public performances, in solo or as bands at places like The Prancing Pony Inn in Bree . Communities also regularly organize music events and mini-concerts such as “Weatherstock”: Woodstock above Weathertop . 
Characters on reaching Level 15 can buy a house in instanced neighborhoods. Neighborhoods and houses have different themes depending on the setting (there are four settings: Man, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit). Decorations / furniture can be purchased or acquired in certain in-game activities such as quests, deeds or festivals. The items are displayed via item hooks and may be cosmetic or functional. Houses come in three different sizes and include chests for additional player storage. Houses require weekly maintenance rent (using in-game currency) The largest size house is reserved for kinships (player guilds). Players can own a personal house, and make it publicly accessible.
As of Update 19 in late 2016, Premium housing is now available, based in a new housing area in the Cape of Belfalas in Gondor.  These are much larger than standard personal houses, and have many more hooks for decorative items both inside the house and in the yard. There are three types of premium houses to choose from, including a new type of kinship house based on its own island, accessible by boat from the main housing area. Mithril coins, and they are more likely to buy if they choose. Upkeep is paid for using the normal in-game currency.
Reputation is the measure of how well acquainted a player is with a specific group or faction of NPCs. There are various factions in the Lord of the Rings that a player can become acquainted with in their travels. Reputation for these different factions can be obtained by completing quests, defeating specific monsters, crafting items, and completing deeds. Many of the original reputations have been made in the Mines of Moria, which have been recognized by NPCs or obtained by completing deeds. However, since the Siege of Mirkwoodexpansion no new faction in the game has had this feature added, although a system of ‘daily quests’ has been created that allow the player to gain a steady source of reputation in the absence of reputation items.
There are two kinds of factions in the game, those are ‘Reputation Factions’ and ‘Crafting Guilds’. Reputation Factions are factions that are uniquely unique to the game, such as the Men of Bree who are present in Bree-land; each has a location where the player can purchase goods and services from the faction’s vendors, some of which are only accessible at higher reputation levels. Some factions also have a vendor where the player can barter faction-specific items awarded quests or instances for single items such as armor or weaponry. The ability to gain reputation with Reputation Factions is open to all. Crafting Guild factions however, are available only to those who belong to a specific crafting vocation, and a player can only gain reputation with any one of the many Crafting Guild factions at any one time. Crafting Guild factions also have locations that the player can visit for unique products, including valuable crafting recipes for specific professions.
There are several levels of reputation that a player can achieve with any faction. The default starting point for most factions is neutral, for the reputation of the Lossoth of Forochel. In addition to these third parties of reputation for Crafting Guilds, there is a further three levels that the player can achieve. As the player progresses up these thirds in Reputation Factions or Crafting Guilds, they gain access to more valuable goods and services from the factions vendors. These upgrades include: Reputation Factions, Crafting Guilds, and Crafting Guilds.
The player starts with Frodo and leaving The Shire . Each Region of Middle-earth is represented as being permanently “frozen” at a certain point of time. For example, it is always September of the Year 3018 of the Third Age in the Shire , December 3018 in Rivendell , February 3019 in Lothlórien , etc. The timeline moves on and is currently set after the destruction of the ring while free people explores Mordor freed from Sauron but fulfilled with evil and Sauron’s allies.
Players begin (DEPENDING one race) in an area of Eriador , qui we release Was divided into Ered Luin , The Shire , Bree-land (the area around Bree , the Old Forest and the Barrow-downs ), the North Downs (lands to the east and south of Fornost ), the Lone-lands (the area around Amon Sul ), the Trollshaw (the area surrounding Rivendell ), the Misty Mountains (at first excluding Goblin Town ), Angmar and the Ettenmoors . Early free updates added Lake Evendim ,Annúminas , and Forochel . The Mines of Moria expansion also added Eregion . Other cities in the world include Goblin Town and the High Pass to the Misty Mountains, and Tal Bruinen to the Trollshaws.
Originally only players who bought the Mines of Moria Expansion had access to Moria and Lothlórien . This type of expansion was published in Mirkwood , Mirkwood including Dol Guldur and the storyline. With the addition of the Region of Enedwaithin 2010, the game returned to the west of the Misty Mountains. As the game continues to grow, Turbine is expanding its approach to expansion in an up-and-coming world. This approach continued with the Rise of Isengard, which included Dunland , The Gap of Rohan , and Isengard . Update 6 added the area around the Anduin south of Lothlórien. The Riders of Rohan added The Eastemnet: the Wold, the East Wall, Norcrofts, Sutcrofts, Vale Entwash, and the Eaves of Fangorn. The Helm’s DeepExpansion added The Westemnet: Broadacres, Stonedeans, Kingstead, Eastfold and Westfold (including Edoras, Aldburg, Dunharrow and the fortress of the Hornburg). Updates 14-16 introduced Gondor between the Paths of the Dead and Osgiliath. Updates 17-18 added Minas Tirith and the Battle of Pelennor Fields. Update 19 added North Ithilien. Update 20 added The Wastes (3 zones: Noman-lands, Dagorlad, and the Slag-hills) and the majority of the Battle of the Black Gate. Update 21, theMordor expansion, concludes the Battle of the Black Gate and adds the Plateau of Gorgoroth which includes 5 regions: Udûn, Dor Amarth, Lhingris, Talath Úrui, and Agarnaith. SSG has stated that their intention is to continue to release contents beyond Mordor and the destruction of the ring writing new stories in the years to come.
The in-game world of The Lord of the Rings Online is currently divided into 25 distinct regions with individual dynamic content and storyline. Three main world areas include Eriador , Rhovanion and Gondor . Turbine has not added new areas (Unike in Tolkien’s original world, Enedwaith appears under Eriador and Rohanis considered to be a part of Rhovanion). Each region in the game contains NPCs and quests within an established player character level range. Level ranges are broad and the regions will be more effective. Every region contains Player vs. Environment, or PvE content. The only in-game region that player can participate in Player vs. Player Player, or PvP action is the Ettenmoors (see above). Each region also has ‘capital’, the largest settlement, such as ‘Bree’ in Bree-land or the village of ‘Aughaire’ in Angmar. The capitals serve as ‘quest hubs’ and contain in-game services for player characters, such as vendors, auction houses, crafting halls, and so on. Each region is subdivided into distinct areas, with individual landscape and NPCs that spawn only in that area. These areas take on many separate appearances: swamp, tundra, forest, open plains, hilly regions, lakes, etc. The areas contain additional hubs and services, or large settlements of NPCs or small camps or lone NPCs.
In addition to regular free updates, six expansion packs have been released:
– Mines of Moria: released in 2008 this expansion featured the underground world of Dwarrowdwelf. In details on The Lord of the Rings Online: Mines of Moria.
– Siege of Mirkwood: this expansion was released in 2009, it introduced Mirkwood region and the skirmish system. In details on The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood.
– Rise of Isengard: released in 2011 this expansion introduced Dunland region and new instances in Isengard. In details on The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard
– Riders of Rohan: this expansion was released in 2012 and featured mounted combat and East Rohan. In details on The Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan.
– Helm’s Deep: it was released in 2013 and introduced epic battles and a new region in Rohan (West Rohan). In details on The Lord of the Rings Online: Helm’s Deep
– Mordor: released in 2017 after three years of minor free updates. It introduced Plateau of Gorgoroth region and new instances in the land where shadow lies.
There are six playable races in Lord of the Rings Online: Dwarf, Elf, High Elf, Hobbit, Beorning and Man. Players can choose a male or female sex for each race apart from Dwarves, for whom no gender choice is given.
There are seven classes that can be played in The Lord of the Rings Online, Champion, Guardian, Hunter, Burglar, Captain, Minstrel and Lore-master, with two additional classes (Rune-keeper and Warden) playable in the Mines of Moria expansion. A tenth class, the Beorning, was introduced in Update 15 in November 2014.
Player characters may choose professions dedicated to gathering and/or crafting. Gathering professions involve harvesting of raw materials for use by crafting professions. Professions are optional but permit players to advance through skill levels and create in-game armour, weapons, and other equipment.
An in-game currency of gold, silver and copper coins permits player characters to profit by completing quests and selling obtained loot and crafted items to NPCs or human players. Currency can also be used to acquire equipment from NPCs or other players, pay to repair equipment after combat, equip characters with traits, fast travel, buy crafting materials, and purchase a house. Players can trade face-to-face, via in-game mail, or at in-game Auction Houses. In update 11, Mithril Coins (available for purchase with real world money or LotRO points in the LotRO Store) were added as a meta-currency for game-related purchases.
The main story line, the Epic Quests, focuses on some events that are new additions to the Lord of the Rings story created by the makers of the game.
Volume I: Shadows of Angmar
- Book I – Stirrings in the Darkness
- After the introductions, the player is feeling to Aragorn , who needs help weakening the Blackwolds, has a hostile gang within Bree-land, loyal to Sharkey . After helping Aragorn and the Rangers , the player is feeling to Tom Bombadil to destroy the evil in Othrongroth, the Great Barrow of the Barrow-downs . Though the Wightlord Sambrog is defeated, the Witch-king and his servants, Ivar and Skorgrim, Escape the player’s pursuit. On returning to Bree , the player discovers Aragorn has left with the Hobbits and instead meets Gandalf , who has arrived too late to help. The player is then instructed by GandalfRivendell as well) to locate one of Gandalf’s fellow Istari , Radagast the Brown .
- Book II – The Red Maid
- The player is feeling to the Ranger Candaith, who tries to learn the location of Radagast the Brown for the player. While waiting, the player investigates the mysterious events that happened on Weathertop and fights the Orc army around and on top of the hill. By the time the enemy is defeated, Candaith has found Radagast in the city of Ost Guruth and sends the player to meet him. Radagast asks for the player’s help in the area of Garth Agarwen from the evil wights that inhabit it. Ultimately the player and Radagast fight Ivar the Bloodhand, their leader and servant of the Witch-king . On succeeding, the player is urgently sent to the Rangers in those lands.
- Book III – The Council of the North
- The player is asked by Halbarad to help in the defense of the North Downs against Angmar ‘s forces, by uniting the three main armies of the North Downs: the Men of the town of Trestlebridge, the local Dwarves by Dori , and Gildor ‘ Elves. After accomplishing this, the player is sent to Rivendell, where the Fellowship has now safely arrived.
- Book IV – Chasing Shadows
- The Black Rider that survives the Flood of Bruinen by Elrond is still somewhere in the Trollshaws , making it impossible for the Fellowship to leave. With the help of Legolas , Elladan and Elrohir , the player chases the Nazgûl , destroying the Trolls he has corrupted, and forcing the Ringwraith to retreat to the Misty Mountains . The player is feeling at home, where Glóin and some Dwarves have set up a camp.
- Book V – The Last Refuge
- The player’s search for the Nazgûl was the most important of Skorgrím and the Dourhands, the corrupted Dwarves. An assault led by Gimli results in the fall of Skorgrim and his servants. But the Nazgûl has fled to Helegrod, where a long-dead Dragon Thorog has been reanimated as a wight to serve the Dark Lord . The player arrives just in time to stop the Nazgûl, defeating him and making him lose control of the Dragon, who escapes. Now that Rivendell is safe, it’s time to move on to Angmar itself.
- Book VI – Fires in the North
- Rangers of the North, led by Corunir and Golodir, have gone to Angmar and their kinsmen want to know what has become of them. Upon arriving in Angmar, the player finds Corunir safe in a friendly Hillmen village. He passed the ballot to his lost company, who passed through Rammas Deluon: a great series of statues that weaken (or even kill) those who pass it. After destroying the spirits within them, the player becomes able to resist the power of Rammas Deluon, and finds a hidden Dwarf settlement, where a part of the scattered party lives.
- Book VII – The Hidden Hope
- The player is informed that Golodir is settled at Forthar Gath, far in the North. On arriving there, (s) he finds that Golodir is long gone and the Rangers are led by his daughter, Lorniel. Lorniel reveals that Golodir has been captured by Mordirith, Sire of Angmar , and has been locked in Carn Dûm . As leader of the remaining Rangers, and with the help of the Elf Laerdan, Lorniel launches an assault on Carn Dûm, where she is slain by Mordirith, who then releases broken Golodir in a mockery, to continue his torture.
- Book VIII – The Scourge of the North
- Golodir’s grievance for the death of his daughter has been destroyed, yet he has a chance to avenge her. Reclaiming an ancient sword, he travels with the player to the heart of Carn Dûm , defeating Mordirith with his blade. But then Mordirith’s palantír , a great seeing-stone he used to torture Golodir, is quickly taken by the mysterious Sara Oakheart.
- Book IX – Shores of Evendim
- The player learns that Sara Oakheart is none other than Amarthiel , the legendary Champion of Angmar. She has set up a plot within the walls of Barad Gularan to use the player to weaken Mordirith. Now that she has the palantír, she can communicate with Sauron and challenge Mordirith’s position. The player is feeling to kill all of Mordirith’s Knights, in an attempt to further weaken his power. But despite the player’s victories over Mordirith, Amarthiel only grows stronger. After losing Fornost and Barad Gularan, she moved to Annúminas , the ancient capital of Arnor . The Rangers there, led by Calenglad, need the player’s help.
- Book X – The City of Kings
- A massive battle in Annúminas and the wise Elf Laerdan offers his services to Calenglad. Mordrambor, one of Amarthiel’s captains, is captured, but while in captivity he poisons the mind of Laerdan, making the Elf decides to fight Amarthiel on his own, in an attempt to make up for his mistakes in the past. Again the Free Peoples have been tricked by Amarthiel and her servants. Together with the Rangers of Evendim , the player is able to wrestle the palantír from Amarthiel’s clutches, but Laerdan is lost. However, within the palantír , Amarthiel saw a glimpse of where Narchuil, her ancient ring, lies. She is now determined to possess its power ounce more.
- Book XI – Prisoner of the Free Peoples
- Amarthiel’s captain Mordrambor breaks free, killing many Rangers. Soon he leads an army out of Annúminas , to find Amarthiel’s Ring, Narchuil. The player attempts to find Narchuil before Amarthiel can, searching the ancient ruins of the Trollshaws . After much searching, it turns out Narmeleth, Laerdan’s daughter, who was originally caused by Amarthiel’s fall in Fornost , has become possessed by her. But all in vain, when it is revealed Amarthiel has already found Narchuil. However, Elrond does not fall for her trickery again; he realizes Narchuil is still out there, and Laerdan knows where.
- Book XII – The Ashen Wastes
- Amarthiel has Laerdan transported to Angmar , where she learns from her under torture where her Ring is. In a brave attempt to save both and the ring Narchuil, the player is able to get to the front Amarthiel, but only half of the ring was found. Laerdan confesses to Elrond he has broken the Narchuil in two, and reveals where the other should be. But then he swears an oath upon Elbereth that he will not rest before he has saved his daughter, and leaves the Council.
- Book XIII – Doom of the Last King
- Trying to find out more about the other half of Narchuil, the player is sent to Forochel . However Amarthiel’s strengths have already arrived, and their search is underway. In an attempt to find the ring before the Angmarim, the player receives help from the shade of the Last King Arvedui . During a confrontation with the enemy, it seems that Mordrambor has betrayed Amarthiel : the two battle each other and disappear from the view. The player then retrieves the second half of Narchuil and returns to Rivendell.
- Book XIV – The Ring-forges of Eregion
- Still seeking to save Narmeleth, Laerdan travels with the two halves of Narchuil to Eregion . Amarthiel , baiting him in, reclaims Narchuil for herself. Elrond sends many Heralds of Rivendell to all corners of Eriador to help him in his search for the lost Ring-lore. But all efforts are too late, for Narchuil has been reforged when the Free Peoples reach Eregion. Narchuil, until Mordrambor, Amarthiel’s train serving, arrives. Sowing confusion in her, he shows her the arrival of Mordirith, who is in power once again, but Amarthiel does not surrender and believes she can defeat him with use of Narchuil. However, Mordirith has the power of the Witch-kingand defeats her, claiming Narchuil as his own. Just as he is about to finish Amarthiel, Laerdan appears. He reveals his knowledge that Mordirith is actually Eärnur , the last King of Gondor , taken captive by the Witch-King and made a Wraith in mockery of his form defiance. Under Mordirith ‘s orders Mordrambor kills Laerdan, after which the two leave. Amarthiel is devastated by the loss of his father, and taken captive by the Free Peoples.
- Book XV – Daughter of Strife
- With the death of her father, Narmeleth is once again freed from the evil influence of Amarthiel. She becomes a captive of the Free Peoples, but volunteers to avenge her father. In Angmar, the final battle between the Free People and Mordirith ensues. First Mordrambor is defeated and Narmil is finally destroyed by Narmeleth. In the final confrontation, she sacrificed herself in order to defeat Mordirith. The book ends with Narmeleth’s redemption and her death and Elrond comforts the player, saying that she had found peace in the Undying Lands.
Volume II: Mines of Moria
Volume III: Allies of the King
Volume IV: The Strength of Sauron
The final volume, the first chapters of which were released in March 2015. The epic story concludes with Book 9, which was released as part of the Mordor expansion.
Volume IV covers the final months of the War of the Ring. The player character is summoned to meet Lady Eowyn who has been told that the Aragorn and the Gray Company have traveled through the Paths of the Dead. The player character learns that a faction of the dead called “Ruthless Dead” have chosen to follow Sauron and stop Aragorn.
The player sets out after Aragorn and, through region quests, stops the Ruthless Dead before coming across the Corsair fleet that Aragorn has set out to stop. The player then takes part in the Battle of Pelargir and afterwards is tasked with going to Minas Tirith and informing either Faramir or Gandalf of Aragorn’s plan to take the Corsair ships and sail up the Anduin.
After dayning through Eastern Gondor, the player comes across Osgiliath being raided by the army of Minas Morgul. During the game’s time in Osgiliath they discover that Moridith has been rechristened ‘Gothmog’. The player eventually ends up escaping the city, meeting up briefly with Faramir before he is shot by a Morgul dart and rendered unconscious.
The player then prepares the city of Minas Tirith for siege and after looking in the Denethor’s Palantir Steward, sees the battle of Minas Tirith take place and the Rohirrim not arriving, leading to the fall of the city. After telling Gandalf what they have seen, the wizard is asking for the King Theoden’s forces.
The player finds the Rohirrim in Far Anórien and marches with them to Minas Tirith just in time to save the city, finishing the Battle of Pelennor Fields in time to march to the Black Gates through North Ithilian and the Wastes. On the Slag Hills the player fights during the Battle of the Black Gates to draw the enemy eye from Frodo and the ring. The quest of the ring is completed and the player travels with Frodo and Sam from the eruption of Mount Doom. Volume IV ends here as the last of the volumes; A new story begins with Mordor: the Black Book of Mordor .
Sierra On-Line first announced the development of a licensed Middle-earth MMORPG in 1998.  Sierra had financial problems in 1999 and replaced the staff working on the game. Sierra continued to confirm development of the MMORPG but did not release any development details.
Vivendi Universal Games , the parent company of Sierra, secured eight-year rights to produce video and games based on the Lord of the Rings books in 2001. Vivendi announced an agreement with Turbine in 2003 to produce Middle-earth Online (at that time expected to be released in 2004). In March 2005, Turbine announced that it had been bought by MMORPG based on Tolkien’s literature and that Turbine would publish The Lord of the Rings Onlineinstead of Vivendi.
A closed beta was announced on September 8, 2006. An open beta began on March 30, 2007, and was open to all those pre-ordered by the game’s Founders Club edition. On April 6, 2007, the beta opened to the public.
In January 2014 it was announced that the license for the Lord of the Rings has been renewed to 2017. 
Executive Producer Aaron Campbell Posted to other duties in 2015, and Dungeons and Dragons Online Director Franchise Athena Peters replaced him. Peters announced a new roadmap for the future of LOTRO, including improvements to the legendary item system, new fellowship quests, and various “quality of life” fixes.  Also on the agenda for the summer of 2015 were the merges and new datacenters. 
On December 19, 2016, it was announced that Turbine would be developed, rather than being developed under the name Standing Stone Games, the staff of which would be ex-Turbine. The publishing of the game would transfer from Warner Brothers to Daybreak Game Company . While a reason was not given for the transition, it was assured that the game would continue with new development. 
Releases and subscription model
In North America, players who have pre-ordered the game have been offered a special founder’s, a lifetime subscription for $ 199 or reduced cost of $ 9.99 per month. Standard monthly fee is $ 14.99 with three, six, twelve month, and lifetime discounts available. European players had a similar program from Codemasters. A holiday subscription was available in December 2007 and January 2008 for $ 9.99 / month for a 3-month commitment. A special edition , which cost $ 10 more than the regular edition, included in a full-color manual, an item called “Glass of Aglaral,” a cloak of regeneration, which is visually different from the one in the regular edition, a “Making of “DVD, soundtrack, and a 10-day buddy key.
$ 9.99 / month subscription or a $ 199.99 Lifetime subscription, which was again offered during the lead-up to the Mines of Moria release. However, the lifetime subscription option is no longer available and is unlikely to return. 
On June 4, 2010, it was announced to be a free-to-play option in the autumn, with an in-game store. Free-to-play was successfully launched in North America on September 10, 2010.  http://www.free-to-play.com the title. 
On April 26, 2011, it was announced that Codemasters would relinquish control of the European service back to Turbine, and on June 1, the servers were transferred. After a transition period of a few days, they reopened under a unified LOTRO global service. Finally, on June 6, 2012, The Lord of the Rings was made available for download on Steam .
Epic book updates
Until 2008, more than once every two months has been added to The Lord of the Rings Online . Each update was an extension to the epic quest called a book. Despite the Mines of Moria being an official expansion to the original game, it is not required for subscribers to continue receiving the free updates. However, any new content exclusive to Mines of Moria , including any area past Eregion , is not accessible. They are viewable but unable to be equipped. The only exception to this is the Helm’s Deepupdate, where a portion of the Epic Story is linked to a new feature added in that expansion. Because of this, in order to play through the Helm ‘s Deep Epic Story, the expansion must be purchased.
The soundtrack for Lord of the Rings Online has received a lot of praise for its quality and variety.  [27 ] It features compositions from Turbine composer Stephen Digregorio Chance Thomas . Other composers include Geoff Scott, Brad Spears, and Egan Budd. According to Thomas, all references were made to the music of the Middle-earth peoples in the literature, and they were used to make the information and tools available to them. This information was then used as the basis for creating the score. Additionally, 61 songs from the game Were made available for free in mp3 formats using a download manager released by Turbine. 
The Lord of the Rings Online received the title of the original release. 
GameDaily awarded the game 9/10, praising its rich, fantasy-themed universe, well-integrated trait and title system, and a story that remains true to the works of Tolkien. Yahoo! Video Games wrote a review with few negative mentions, awarding the game a score of 4/5,  while Computer and Video Games called the game an essential purchase for Lord of the Rings fans, scoring the game a 9.2 / 10.  Eurogamer scored the game at 9.0 / 10, calling it tough to resist.  Gamespy gave it 4.5 / 5 stars, claiming the game “opened up Middle-Earth to the masses” but commented negatively on its weak PvP content,  while GameTrailersawarded it 8.5 / 10,  citing its interesting tweaks to the genre MMO. IGN ranked it a similar 8.6 / 10, praising it for its solid experience, but criticizing it for its lack of major improvements to the genre.  The New York Times called the game “a major achievement of interactive storytelling, the first game truly worthy of the ‘Lord of the Rings’ franchise and a must-play for just about anyone with an interest in Tolkien or the future of online entertainment. ”  In a GameSpot review, the product was awarded an 8.3 / 10, praising its appealing polish and intriguing Monster Play feature. Gamepro.com’s review gave it an overall rating of 4.25 / 5, pointing out how to engage the epic quests are, the game managed to stay. GameSpy declared The Lord of the Rings Online ‘Game of the Month’ for May 2007.  Midway announced that the game sold over 172,000 copies in North America during its second quarter. 
In April 2007, Salon.com reported  that the game had dropped a planned feature for in-game players because of the controversy around the possibility of same-sex  and inter-species  weddings. One developer stated that the design rule was made in the book, as between elves and humans. The online magazine for gay gamers , GayGamer.net commented that, while Tolkien was a devout Christian , his stance on gay is not a public issue at the time.  Video game critic Ian Bogost compared it to the box of The Sims 2, which did allow same-sex marriage three years prior.  
In August 2007, Codemasters announced that the Lord of the Rings has received five Golden Joystick Awards nominations for the five applicable categories for the game, and in October 2007 that it had won the “PC Game of the Year” at these theses awards.  It won the same award again on October 2008.
In December 2007, GameSpy awarded The Lord of the Rings Online 6th place in the top 10 PC games of 2007.  On December 18, Turbine announced it had also won the GameSpy MMO of the Year award. 
In May 2010, RPGFan’s Adam Tingle named Lord of the Rings The best MMORPG of all time in a top-10 countdown. 
In January 2011, PC Gamer Magazine Lord of the Rings Online as the MMO of the year.  Epic Books, two additional regions, expanded in-game events, improved UI elements, and the revamp of the character creation and starter regions. It also notes the success of the move to free-to-play, LOTRO stating is “quickly redefining the way to a successful subscriptionless MMO is run.”
- Jump up^ “Havok-Powered Titles” . Retrieved 2015-02-11 .
- Jump up^ Turbine spin into action to secure Tolkien license – VideoGamer.com
- Jump up^ VanOrd, Kevin (June 13, 2011). “E3 2011: The Lord of the Rings Online: Rise of Isengard Preview” . GameSpot . Retrieved March 9, 2016 .
- Jump up^ https://www.lotro.com/en/game/articles/standing-stone-games-transition-faq
- Jump up^ ” ” Is The Lord of the Rings Online (LOTRO) based on the movies or the books? “And” What about The Silmarillion? “At the official FAQ” . Turbine. Archived from the original on November 27, 2007 . Retrieved 2007-11-15 .
- Jump up^ “One game to rule all?” . BBC News . Retrieved 2008-03-08 .
- Jump up^ https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Spar- definition of Sparring
- Jump up^ “Game Systems: Monster Play Overview” . Turbine. Archived from the original on February 25, 2008 . Retrieved 2008-03-08 . – this reference is historical only.
- Jump up^ https://www.lotro.com/forums/showthread.php?572512-Update-16-2-Release-Notes- a new PvMP area in Osgiliath
- Jump up^ “Monster Play Rank Titles: Rank Chart” . Turbine. nd . Retrieved 2013-08-13 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Rank Farming, Official” . Turbine. 2013-08-28 . Retrieved 2013-10-15 .
- Jump up^ “Twenty-Questions-with-the-LOTRO-Dev-Team” . Turbine. 2013-06-19 . Retrieved 2013-08-13 .
- Jump up^ Justin Olivetti. “The Road to Mordor: Making music together” . Joystiq.
- Jump up^ William Cheng. “Role-Playing Towards a Virtual Musical Democracy in The Lord of the Rings Online” . University of Illinois Press.
- Jump up^ Justin Olivetti. “LotRO musicians prepare for Weatherstock. 2011” . Joystiq.com.
- Jump up^ “Dev Diary – Premium Housing” . Turbine. 2016-10-18 . Retrieved 2016-11-21 .
- Jump up^ “Characters” . The Lord of the Rings Online . Retrieved 26 November2014 .
- Jump up^ “Middle-earth Online Memories – Part 1” . IGN. 2007 . Retrieved 2009-04-22 .
- Jump up^ Purchese, Robert (14 January 2014). “Lord of the Rings Online license renewed to 2017” . Eurogamer . Gamer Network . Retrieved 14 January2014 .
- Jump up^ engadget.com summary
- Jump up^ mmorpg.com news article
- Jump up^ Bree Royce (19 December 2016). “TURBINE SPINS LOTRO AND DDO TEAMS OUT TO NEW STUDIO, USING DAYBREAK AS PUBLISHER” . Massively Overpowered . Retrieved 20 December 2016 .
- Jump up^ “LOTRO Lifetime Subscriptions FAQs” . Turbine Support . Turbine. 1 February 2012 [First published 2010] . Retrieved 18 April 2012 .
- Jump up^ “Official Announcement” . Lotro.com . Retrieved 2011-06-17 .
- Jump up^ “News – Turbine: Lord of the Rings Online Revenues Tripled As Free-To-Play Game” . Gamasutra . Retrieved 2011-06-17 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b VanOrd, Kevin (2007-05-10). “Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar Review” . GameSpot . Retrieved 2007-04-24 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Onyett, Charles (2007-05-11). “The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar Review.” Turbine’s latest MMORPG delivers ” . IGN . Retrieved 2007-04-24 .
- Jump up^ “Chance Thomas Invades Middle Earth” . IGN . Retrieved 2008-06-12 .
- Jump up^ “LOTRO Download Manager Release” . Lord of the Rings Online . Retrieved 2008-06-12 .
- Jump up^ Sharkey, Scott (2007-05-15). “Reviews: Lord of the Rings Online” . 1UP.com .
- Jump up^ Fahey, Rob (2007-04-24). “Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar Review” . Eurogamer .
- Jump up^ Biessener, Adam. “Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar” . Game Informer . Archived from the original on February 13, 2008 . Retrieved 2008-03-07 .
- Jump up^ Rausch, Allen (2007-05-04). “Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar Review” . GameSpy . Retrieved 2008-04-24 .
- Jump up^ “Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar” . Metacritic . Retrieved 2007-04-24 .
- Jump up^ Chester, Chris (2007-10-26). “LotRO and Burning Victory Crusade at Golden Joysticks | Massively” . Massively.joystiq.com . Retrieved 2012-10-12 .
- Jump up^ “GameSpy’s Game of the Year 2007” . Goty.gamespy.com. 2007-04-24 . Retrieved 2012-10-12 .
- Jump up^ “1UP 2008 Readers’ Choice Awards from” . 1UP.com . Retrieved 2012-10-12 .
- Jump up^ “RPGLand RPGs of 2010” . rpgland.com . Retrieved 2011-02-15 .
- Jump up^ “Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar, The – Review” . metacritic.com . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar Review” . Yahoo! Games . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “PC Review: Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar” . CVG . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “Review – Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar” . EuroGamer . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar Review” . GameSpy . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar” . gametrailers.com . Archived from the original on July 14, 2007 . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar Review” . IGN . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “Lord of the Rings Online Press Release” . lotr.turbine.com . Archived from the original on August 17, 2007 . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar for PC Review” . GameSpotUK . Archived from the original on September 30, 2007 . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “Review: The Lord of the Rings Online: Shadows of Angmar for PC” . GamePro . Archived from the original on 2007-05-13 . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “Game of the Month: May 2007” . GameSpy . Retrieved 2007-08-24 .
- Jump up^ “Midway Halves Q2 losses, BlackSite delays, Wheelman” . GameSpotAU . Retrieved 2007-08-25 .
- Jump up^ Katherine Glover. “Why can not gay dwarves get married in Middle-earth?”. Salon.com .
- Jump up^ “Gay Marriage Flap Around New Lord of the Rings MMO” . GamePolitics.com .
- Jump up^ Flynn From Marco. “LOTR Online Just Says No To Same Sex Marriage”. Kotaku. Archived from the original on December 16, 2007.
- Jump up^ “We Wants The Gay Hobbits! And We Wants It Now!” . FAD Media, Inc.
- Jump up^ Ian Bogost. “No marriage, gay or otherwise, in Middle Earth” .
- Jump up^ Clive Thompson. “The Game of Wife” . Slate.com . Retrieved 2014-02-26 .
- Jump up^ “Music and vice top games awards” . BBC News . Retrieved 2007-08-25.
- Jump up^ “Gears Big Wins at Golden Joysticks – Edge Magazine” . Next-gen.biz. 2007-10-26 . Retrieved 2011-06-17 .
- Jump up^ “GameSpy’s Game of the Year 2007” . GameSpy . Retrieved 2007-12-19.
- Jump up^ “LOTRO Top Wins Honors from Gamespy!” . Lord of the Rings Online . Archived from the original on December 20, 2007 . Retrieved 2007-12-19 .
- Jump up^ “RPGFan Top 10 MMORPGs of All Time” . rpgfan.com . Retrieved 2011-02-15 .
- Jump up^ “US Gamer PC games of the year awards” . PC Gamer.