Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns is the first expansion pack for Guild Wars 2 , a massively multiplayer online role-playing game developed by ArenaNet and published by NCSOFT . It was released for Microsoft Windows on October 23, 2015. It was made available for pre-purchase on June 16, 2015.  After the release date was broadcast on August 29, 2015, the base game was made free-to-do play , free players have less character slots and have restrictions on mailing and chatting with other players. 
Heart of Thorns introduced the Revenant profession to the game. The Revenant is a heavy armor class, balancing out the armor classes such that there are now 3 of each type (light, medium, heavy). The Revenant focuses on the power of legends from Guild Wars, granting it a variety of different skills. Usable legends include dwarf, demon, centaur, assassin, and dragon – each legend focusing on a specific theme of abilities, including tanking, control, healing, damage, and utility, respectively.  All classes can gain the ability to choose an elite specialization, which unlocks previously unusable weapons for each class, as well as new abilities and skills. Elite specializations are unlockable only at level 80.  Guild halls were also added withHeart of Thorns , inspired by those from the first Guild Wars . Guilds can claim an area in the Heart of Magumina and then build a guild hall on it, which is a large, home-grown guilds can gather and organize. Guild halls cater to guilds both large and small with equal respect. 
Four new open world maps are added to the game in Heart of Thorns . Each map has three distinct biomes at different levels in the map, including the roots, jungle floor, and canopy. The maps also feature Outposts and Adventures, new gameplay elements that are more likely to be known as Guild Wars 2, which include the Exalted, Itzel, Nuhoch, saurians and the chak. 
The expansion introduces raids to the game, which is supposed to represent the most challenging content in the game.  Raids are separated into several wings, each wing of a number of encounters. The first wing was released shortly after the release of the expansion, and the other wings were opened later on. The rewards of raids include the legendary armor. 
Heart of Thorns introduced a new player versus player game mode, Stronghold, which takes place on a new map called the Battle of Champion’s Dusk.  Stronghold Was inspired by MOBA games and Was designed to give players a new take is completely Call PvP in Guild Wars 2. In this game mode, players need to break through enemy lines and defenses with the goal of eliminating the opposing team’s lord. Teams battle to earn and control supply, which can be used to help push into the stronghold. A new World versus World Borderland was added to the game, named the Desert Borderlands. Each keep in this borderland has a distinct theme, and can include Earth, Fire, and Air, and comes with various abilities. New weaponry seat, structure upgrades, and world powers have been added to the game as well. The new Desert Borderlands was inspired by RTS games. [ quote needed ]
Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns was announced on January 24, 2015 at PAX South . The expansion will introduce new group challenges, new profession specializations, a new profession, and an account-based “mastery” system for character progression through the new territories, and make changes to current player versus player content.    In August 2015, ArenaNet announced the release date of October 23, 2015. 
Four new open world maps are added to the game in Heart of Thorns . Unlike previous maps, these maps have been developed in a more specific way; HAVING INSTEAD of maps with little more happy, ArenaNet wanted to add a FEW maps with very deep and happy has high replay value. 
It has a score of 81% on Metacritic.  PC Gamer awarded a score of 85%, saying “A great expansion, and a promising sign of things to come.” Issues aside, “Heart of Thorns is a clever addition to one of the best MMOs around.”  Game Revolution awarded a score of 3.0 out of 5, saying “Heart of Thorns struggles to deliver an enjoyable experience in a variety of ways.” . ” 
- Jump up^ Chappelle, Lena. “Profile” . LinkedIn . Retrieved 25 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ Diemer, Maclaine. “Profile” . LinkedIn . Retrieved 25 November 2015 .
- Jump up^ Diemer, Maclaine [@maclainediemer] (24 January 2015). “@jibashi @ GuildWars2 @kuraine Yes, and with some additional help from Stan LePard” (Tweet) . Retrieved 25 November 2015 – via Twitter .
- Jump up^ “Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Is Available for Pre-Purchase! – GuildWars2.com” . GuildWars2.com . Retrieved 2015-10-18 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Explains ArenaNet Guild Wars 2 going free, and the addition of raids” . Eurogamer.net . Retrieved 2015-10-18 .
- Jump up^ “New Profession – Returning” . Guild Wars 2 . Retrieved 2017-08-30 .
- Jump up^ “Guild Wars 2 Heart Of Thorns Interview With Game Director Colin Johanson” . Gamebreaker . Retrieved 2015-10-18 .
- Jump up^ “South PAX 2015: O’Brien and Johanson on Guild Wars 2’s Heart of Thorns” . Engadget . Retrieved 2015-10-18 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns devs talk new lands, masteries and PvP” . PC Gamer . Retrieved 2015-10-18 .
- Jump up^ “Challenging Content Designing – GuildWars2.com” . GuildWars2.com . Retrieved 2015-10-18 .
- Jump up^ “Stronghold: The Battle of Champion’s Dusk – GuildWars2.com” . GuildWars2.com . Retrieved 2015-10-18 .
- Jump up^ Maiberg, Emanuel (January 24, 2015). “Guild Wars 2’s First Heart Expansion of Thorns Announced” . GameSpot . Retrieved January 24,2015 .
- Jump up^ Karmali, Luke (January 24, 2015). “PAX South 2015: Guild Wars 2: Announced Heart of Thorns Expansion” . IGN . Retrieved January 24,2015 .
- Jump up^ Fahey, Mike (January 24, 2015). “ArenaNet Reveals Heart Of Thorns, The First Expansion For Guild Wars 2” . Kotaku . Retrieved January 24, 2015 .
- Jump up^ Makuch, Eddie (August 28, 2015). “Guild Wars 2’s Expansion Gets Release Date” . Retrieved August 28, 2015 .
- Jump up^ http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns
- Jump up^ http://www.pcgamer.com/guild-wars-2-heart-of-thorns-review/
- Jump up^ “Guild Wars 2: Heart of Thorns Review” . Game Revolution. October 30, 2015.