Free Realms was a massive multiplayer online role playing video game , developed by Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) for the PC , Mac , and PlayStation 3 , set in a fantasy-themed world named Sacred Grove. The game was released on April 29, 2009 for Windows. The game restricted to free-to-play up to level 20, but there was access to additional game content via a membership fee. The game allowed the player to fight, interact with other players, and more. The game was shut down on March 31, 2014; SOE stated that they no longer had enough resources to maintain the game’s servers.
The game was available to download and play free of charge. The PC version was accessed via the Free Realms web site  gold, through arcade game sites Candy Stand  or Miniclip.  During character creation a 3D client downloaded in the background and then streamed the user played; the same method was used to download new content or updates, which reduced file size and download times. A version of FreeRealms for Mac was announced at SOE Fan Faire 2010 for release “within the next 3 months.”  The Mac version was released on November 2, 2010. 
The PlayStation 3 version was released on March 31, 2011 on the US PlayStation Store and on September 11, 2011 in the EU and was accessible through the PlayStation Network .    
Free Realms offered for optional membership for a single player, which allowed for 3 characters to be created per account (plus other benefits such as member-only quests, jobs, and items).  Only one character can be played at a time; the game will kick extra active characters.  Before Free Realms was shut down, SOE planned to offer a “family” membership that would allow multiple logins at the same time.  Separate to memberships is the Station Cash currency which can be used for premium features across Sony Online Entertainment games (including Free Realms). 
In the New York Times , Free Realms was received. The reviewer, Seth Shiesel, noted “For Sony Online, Free Realms is a triumph of the company’s own reinvention.”  USA Today reviewer Marc Saltzman gives Free Realms a 4/5 score, “Sony Online Entertainment’s Free Realms is an extraordinary online adventure that is sure to please tweens and teens looking for a fun and free fantasy world.”  Eurogamer gave the game a much positive review, MMO editor Oli Welsh describing the game as “an effortlessly light and addictive indulgence”. MMOHuts gave the game a 4/5 and noted that “Free Realms is one of the most feature-rich free MMORPGs currently available and it’s all delivered in a beautiful package”.  In a review of Free Realms at the USA Network’s Character Arcade, David Chapman said that the game is a surprisingly deep game experience for a free to play model. you never pay a dime to Sony. ” 
John Smedley , president of Sony Online Entertainment, revealed that one million users had signed up to Free Realms 18 days after its launch;  a month after release Free Realms reached two million users,  and registrations have continued growing at a steady rate since then. As of July 24, 2009, it was nearly five million registered users.  Sony Online Entertainment announced in February 2010 that the game had eight million registered users.  In April 2010, it was announced that the game had ten million players, with two million players signing up in March 2010. 
A Free Realms comic , released for $ 4.99 per issue, earns one thousandths of a year. Published by DC Comics’ Wildstorms, it is based on the Sony Online Entertainment MMORPG. The comic is written by JS Lewis, writer of the “Gray Griffon” series of young-adult fantasy books, with the art by Allen Martinez and Jon Buran. 
The comic features Dane Kensington, an aspiring Brawler who sets out on his adventure in hopes of becoming stronger.
- Jump up^ “Free Realms Available on PSN March 29 – PlayStation Blog” . Blog.us.playstation.com . Retrieved 2012-05-30 .
- Jump up^ Eric Caoili (March 11, 2011). “SOE’s Free Realms Releasing For PS3 On March 29” . Gamasutra . Retrieved 11 March 2011 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b “Maintenance for November 2, 2010” . Forums.station.sony.com. Archived from the original on March 14, 2012 . Retrieved 2012-05-30 .
- Jump up^ “Welcome To Free Realms” . Retrieved 2009-05-06 .
- Jump up^ “Free Realms – Candystand.com” .
- Jump up^ “Free Realms – Miniclip.com” . Archived from the original on 2009-05-06 . Retrieved 2009-05-11 .
- Jump up^ “Breaking: Free Realms Headed To PS3 And Mac In The Next 3 Months!”. Freerealmsinsider.com . Retrieved 2012-05-30 .
- Jump up^ “Free Realms Available on PSN March 29” . Playstation US Blog. 2011-03-11 . Retrieved 2011-04-22 .
- Jump up^ Welsh, Oli (2009-02-12). “Free Realms to launch in early April News” . Eurogamer . Retrieved 2009-02-12 .
- Jump up^ “Free Realms PSN hits today with Voice Chat, Trophies” . Playstation US Blog. 2011-03-29 . Retrieved 2011-04-22 .
- Jump up^ “Free Realms News” . SOE . Retrieved 4 October 2011 .
- Jump up^ “Free Realms Member Benefits” . Retrieved 2009-04-19 .
- Jump up^ “Free Realms – Support” . Help.freerealms.com. 2013-05-30 . Retrieved 2012-05-30 .
- Jump up^ “Free Realms – Support” . Help.freerealms.com . Retrieved 2012-05-30 . [ dead link ]
- Jump up^ “SOE” . SOE.COM. 2013-09-16 . Retrieved 2013-09-16 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Welsh Oli (2009-05-27). “Free Realms Review” . Eurogamer.
- Jump up^ Krause, Staci (2009-05-06). “Free Realms Review” . IGN.com . Retrieved 2009-05-25 .
- ^ Jump up to:a b Saltzman, Mark (2009-05-21). ” ‘ Free Realms’ offers world of family-friendly fun” . USA Today . Retrieved 2009-05-25 .
- Jump up^ Shiesel, Seth (2009-05-20). “Pick a Role, Any Role, Then Live Nine Lives” . New York Times . Retrieved 2009-05-25 .
- Jump up^ Altay, Erhan (2009-05-24). “Free Realms Game Review” . MMOHuts.
- Jump up^ Chapman, David (2010-05-19). ” ‘ Review: Free Realms (PC)” . USA Network. Archived from the original on 2010-05-26.
- Jump up^ MacManus, Christopher (2009-05-24). “SOE’s Free Realms Has A Million Unique Registered Users” . Sony Insider . Retrieved 2009-05-25 .
- Jump up^ Martin, Matt (2009-05-27). “Free Realms hits over 2 million users” . Games Industry . Retrieved 2009-06-12 .
- Jump up^ “Free Realms hits close to the 5 million registered mark” . VG247. 2009-07-24 . Retrieved 2012-05-30 .
- Jump up^ Clarke, Robert (2010-02-08). “Free Realms Boasts 8 Million Registered Users” . Aperture Games. Archived from the original on 2011-08-11 . Retrieved 2010-02-08 .
- Jump up^ Mitchell, Richard (2012-05-25). “Joystiq” . Gamedaily.com . Retrieved 2012-05-30 .
- Jump up^ McElroy, Griffin (2009-07-23). “Free Realms Comic Coming July 29, includes in-game bonuses” . Joystiq . Retrieved 2012-05-30 .